(Click to Expand)

Search for People
Lake and Reynolds Genealogy
We welcome your comments.
"Our Ancestors and Their Descendants"
presented by:
Susan and Barry Reynolds.
Contact Us

Famous People

Photographs of our Ancestors
Print Bookmark


Matches 1 to 50 of 25,233

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 505» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
1  Eaton, Nellie Jane Hope (I6063)
2  Clemens, David S. (I8631)
3  Hallman, John S. (I9684)
4  Clemens, John Unger (I10037)
5  Rife, Abram Samuel (I22051)
6  Trafford, Sir Edmond (I97322)
7  Fessenden, Edward Dwight (I113546)

Gospel Herald - Volume XLVIII , Number 38 - September 20, 1955 --- Page 912.

Hallman, -- Eli S., son of the late Abraham and Mary (Schmitt) Hallman, was born Feb. 25, 1866, in Waterloo Co., Ont.; entered into rest Aug. 25, 1955, at his home in Akron, Pa., after an illness of eight weeks; aged 89 y. 6 m. On April 9, 1893, he was married to Melinda Clemens, who shared with him life's joys and sorrows for 62 years.

He accepted Christ as his Saviour in his youth and united with the Mennonite Church. Throughout his life he served the Lord faithfully and his consecrated service to the church brought the blessings of a rich and fruitful ministry. On June 17, 1898, at the age of 31, he was ordained to the Christian ministry at the First Mennonite Church, Kitchener, Ont. His early years in the ministry (from 1897 to 1907) were spent in evangelistic and missionary activities as well as in Bible conference work in various sections of the church. He retained this deep interest in missionary endeavors throughout his entire life. In 1905 he helped to establish a Mennonite settlement in the western part of Canada near Guernsey, Sask. In May of that year a congregation was organized which became known as the Sharon Mennonite Church. He preached the first sermon for the homesteaders in Deacon Aaron Biehn's tent on May 7, 1905, using Heb. 11: 8-10 as his text. Besides taking care of his regular Sunday preaching appointments he spent much of that first year at Saskatchewan in locating homesteads and lands for settlers as well as assisting the new settlers in setting up their homesteads. Because of his busy life of service in behalf of others during these days, his neighbors offered by turns to plow the ten acres on his homestead which were required for homestead duties. In November of 1907, he was ordained as bishop by the Ontario Conference to have the oversight of the newly organized Alberta-Saskatchewan Conference. Later he served as field secretary for Goshen College between the years of 1912 and 1916. Because of health reasons he and his family moved to Grand Bay, Ala., in 1916 and later to Allemands, La., where he assisted in the formation of a new Mennonite congregation. In 1920, it became possible for him and his family to return to the Guernsey section of Saskatchewan and the Sharon congregation where he served the Alberta-Saskatchewan Conference until 1928. In that year he took up residence in Falfurrias and later Tuleta, Texas, where he remained until his retirement in 1951. For these twenty-three years he served as bishop in congregations in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas.

Since his retirement he lived in Akron, Pa., and was a member of the Monterey Mennonite Church. He served on the Mennonite Publication Board and the Mennonite Board of Education. During the early 1920's he was a member of the Colonization Board of Canada. Because of his wide experience and sound Christian judgment he was bale to give guidance and counsel which have been greatly appreciated by younger men in the ministry. He maintained a church-wide interest and up to the year before his death he was present in district conference sessions.

Surviving are his wife, Melinda Clemens Hallman, and these children (George B., White Fox, Sask.; William E., Argentina, S. A.; Abram P., Akron, Pa; and Anna-Mrs. B. Frank Byler, Argentina, S. A. The eldest son (Clemens) preceded him in death in 1927. Also surviving are 2 sisters (Sarah -widow of Josiah Cassel, Preston, Ont.; and Lucinda-Mrs. Ephraim Snider, Kitchener, Ont.), one brother (J. Riley Hallman, Toronto, Ont.), 14 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.

Funeral services were held Aug. 27 at the Monterey Mennonite Church, Lancaster Co., Pa., with Amos S. Horst and Maurice W. Landis officiating. A further service was held Aug. 29 in the Cressman Mennonite Church Breslau, Ont., conducted by Oscar Burkholder, Lewis Fretz, and others. Interment was made in the Cressman Church Cemetery. 
Hallman, Bishop Eli (I16463)
Billy and I were always very close, as he was around Oakville a lot. Almost every Sun. afternoon they were here or we were up in Milton and later Georgetown to visit them. I am working on my 3rd book of poetry - the second one sold well. I belong to the Canadian Society of Poets.- Mary Varley, 1999

The Old Grocery List

I found a funny little note
Yellowed with age
In my husband's handwriting
Tucked between
the pages of a book.
It said:
1 pound of butter,
Baby food and hamburger,
Oatmeal and oranges,
And ending in his scrawl -
"Yes, we have no bananas
And I wanted to cry.

Mary Varley Nielsen
(Published in the Toronto Sun, July 1999) 
Varley, Mary Ellen (I178)
Driffield Times September 30, 1939

Cemetery Accident - We are pleased to state that Mr Walter Wilson, Superintendent of the Driffield Cemetery, is well on the way to recovery after his accident last Saturday, when he sprained his ankle whilst trying to stop the donkey and cart from dashing on to the road from the refuse tip. He fell under the cart and the wheels passed over his legs. 
Wilson, Walter (I42298)
From Vi Weber: Uncle Altie married Aunt Addie. He was a school teacher in Bright. He died a very young man of T.B. (I think). In fact, Uncle Altie taught my father William Lake in Bright. 
Key, James Alton (I99)
From Vi Weber: Uncle Ortie was mother's favorite brother, I think, probably because they were the two youngest of the family. he was killed; run over by a train. He was working under the engine of the train at the time. He wasn't married. 
Key, Henry Orton (I102)
Arlene A. Anderson Martie
Birth 20 Mar 1929
Manly, Worth County, Iowa, USA
Death 24 Jan 2016 (aged 86)
Mason City, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa, USA
Memorial Park Cemetery
Mason City, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa, USA
Memorial ID 157465897 · View Source

Photos 1
Flowers 2

Arlene Martie, 88, of Manly, died Sunday (January 24, 2016) at the Muse Norris Inpatient Unit, Hospice of North Iowa, in Mason City.
Funeral services for Arlene will be held at 11:00am Wednesday (January 27, 2016) at the Bethlehem Lutheran Church, 428 Walnut Street, Manly, IA with Reverend Linda Johnson Prestholt officiating. Burial will be in Memorial Park Cemetery, Mason City, IA. Visitation will be held from 5:00pm to 7:00pm on Tuesday, at the Bride Colonial Chapel, 110 Spring Street, Manly, IA. Visitation will also be held one hour prior to the service on Wednesday at the church.
Arlene Anderson was born on March 20, 1927, in Manly, Iowa, the daughter of Manley and Olive (Moretz) Anderson. She received her education at the Kensett School. She was united in marriage to Leo Homer Gale Martie on December 29, 1946, at the English Lutheran Church in Manly. Arlene worked variety of jobs, but was best known as a mother and a farm wife.
Arlene had been a resident of the Good Samaritan Center in Forest City for the past 6 months.
She was a member of the Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Manly.
Those left to cherish her memory are her children, Barb (Mike) Reindl, of Northwood, Diane Hanson and special friend Dave Christensen, of Corwith, Mark (Sherry) Martie, of Manly, Jane (Tom) Langerud, of Forest City, and Kay Martie of Forest City; 9 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren; sisters, Velma Roberts, Joy Warner, Norma Streich, and Charlotte Cobeen; and a brother, Millard (Cynthia) Anderson.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Leo Martie, her parents, Manley and Olive (Moretz) Anderson, her mother and father-in-law, Louie and Hilma Martie, a sister, DeAlda Stromley, and four brothers-in-law, Glenn Streich, Laverne Warner, Donald Roberts, and Obert Stromley. 
Anderson, Arlene A. (I118132)
Clarence H Kellogg
Birth 15 Jan 1866
Muscotah, Atchison County, Kansas, USA
Death 9 Nov 1962 (aged 96)
Rockford, Floyd County, Iowa, USA
Riverside Cemetery
Charles City, Floyd County, Iowa, USA
Plot Block 20, Row 8, Section 039, Space 2
Memorial ID 71586930 · View Source

Photos 1
Flowers 0

Clarence Herbert Kellogg – January 15, 1866 – November 9, 1962



Charles City – Funeral services will be held Monday at 2 p.m. at the Hauser Funeral Home for Clarence Kellogg, 96.

A resident of Charles City many years he died Friday at the Rockford Convalescent Home where he had been a patient for the past seven years. Burial will be in Riverside Cemetery here.

Before his retirement, he was engaged in the insurance business here. His wife died April 9, 1951. He was a member of the First Methodist Church, and was Past Master of St. Charles 141 Masons.

Born January 15, 1866 at Muscotah, Kansas, he was married to Minnie Perrin, November 26, 1901 at Newton. The couple had no children.
Survivors include a cousin, and two nephews.

Mason City Globe Gazette, Saturday November 10, 1962


Clarence Herbert Kellogg was born January 15, 1866 in Muscotah, Atchison County, Kansas, the son of Sherman Kellogg and Lydia (Graham) Kellogg.

He married Minnie Orlena Perrin the daughter of Cornelius Perrin and Orlena( Strong) Perrin
Kellogg, Clarence Herbert (I116880)
David Lewis Sink
Birth 25 Sep 1869
Davidson County, North Carolina, USA
Death 23 Apr 1936 (aged 66)
Midway, Davidson County, North Carolina, USA
Hebron United Church Of Christ Cemetery
Davidson County, North Carolina, USA
Memorial ID 18491724 · View Source

Photos 1
Flowers 0

David Lewis Sink was the second of eight known children of Daniel Sink (1844-1922) and Catherine Annamaria Weisner (1844-1923), who married 12 Sep 1866 at Davidson County, North Carolina.

David first married to Sarah Belle Nifong (1879-1901) on 01 Nov 1900 at Davidson County, North Carolina. David and Sarah were the parents of one known children, namely:

1. baby girl Sink (1901-1901)

After Sarah died, David remarried to his cousin, Mary Estelle Sink (1880-1943) on 08 Jul 1904 at Davidson County, North Carolina. David and Mary were the parents of eight known children, namely:

2. Hollis Daniel Sink (1905-1997)
3. Walter Hamilton Sink (1906-1982)
4. Alice Haseltine Sink Disher (1907-1999)
5. Roscoe David Sink (1909-1971)
6. Kate Sink Clodfelter (1911-2000)
7. Lawrence H. "Jake" Sink (1913-1985)
8. Elsie Amanda Sink Motsinger (1916-2009)
9. Bruce Lewis Sink (1919-1979) 
Sink, David Lewis (I119100)
Elizabeth R Carr
Birth 10 Jul 1915
Toronto, Toronto Municipality, Ontario, Canada
Death 20 Feb 2013 (aged 97)
Toronto, Toronto Municipality, Ontario, Canada
Mount Pleasant Cemetery
Toronto, Toronto Municipality, Ontario, Canada
Memorial ID 130277872 · View Source

Photos 1
Flowers 0

ELIZABETH (BETSY) REESOR CARR, BA, DipSW (nee BINGEMAN) July 10, 1915 - February 20, 2013 Died peacefully, aged 97, at Nisbet Lodge. Beloved wife of Jack A. Carr for 70 years. She was proud of her family- sons Brian (Kathryn Elliott) and Randy (Margaret), and grandchildren Ryan (Erica, and their daughter, Olivia), Michael (Emily, and their son, Jackson), Hayley (Ryan Noah) and Sarah (Gavin Franklyne). The family wishes to thank the 14th floor medical team, Toronto General Hospital, and the staff of Nisbet Lodge for their humane and effective care of Betsy. Born in Toronto and raised in Winnipeg, Betsy graduated from the University of Manitoba, 1936. She spent three years in Ottawa working in the Dominion Bureau of Statistics, before moving to Toronto to study social work, graduating from the University of Toronto in 1940. Her professional career included stints with The Children's Aid Society of North York, Visiting Homemakers' Association, Metro Children's Aid Society, and The Community Mental Health Clinic in Scarborough. Her volunteer activities were numerous and varied, concentrating on women's issues and peace activities. On behalf of the Canadian Federation of "University Women (CFUW), she chaired a committee on continuing education which planned and commissioned a report University Women in Continuing Education and Employment", and also chaired the CFUW's Status of Women and Human Rights Committee. She was a member and recording secretary of the National Action Committee on the Status of Women (NAC). As a member of the Voice of Women (VOW), Betsy was one of their representatives at the United Nations in New York. She has been a delegate at conferences in Washington, Moscow, and both East and West Berlin. As a member of NAC, Betsy was active in the constitutional debates in Ottawa on the Charter of Rights as it affected women's and aboriginal rights. In 1990, she founded the Toronto chapter of the Raging Grannies, modelled on the original group in Victoria, BC. In 1986, Betsy was awarded the Person's Award by the governor general for her promotion of women's education and opportunities and for her continuing efforts in the peace movement. A celebration of her life will take place at The Arts and Letters Club, 14 Elm St., Toronto, on March 17 at 1:30 p.m. Condolences may be offered online at www.ETouch.ca.
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on March 02, 2013 
Bingeman, Elizabeth Reesor (I62454)
Elsie Amanda Sink Motsinger
Birth 15 Jan 1916
Davidson County, North Carolina, USA
Death 24 Mar 2009 (aged 93)
North Carolina, USA
Midway United Methodist Church Cemetery
Davidson County, North Carolina, USA
Memorial ID 35232461 · View Source

Photos 1
Flowers 1

Elsie Amanda Sink Motsinger, 93, of Old U.S. Highway 52, died Tuesday, March 24, 2009, at her home.

A graveside service will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Midway United Methodist Church cemetery with Pastor John Woods and the Rev. Michael Gates.

Mrs. Motsinger was born Jan. 15, 1916, in Davidson County to David Lewis Sink and Mary Estelle Sink. She was a member of Midway United Methodist Church. In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her husband, Arthur Lee Motsinger; brothers Hollis Sink, Bruce Sink, Jake Sink, Walter Sink and Ross Sink; and sisters Alice Disher and Kate Clodfelter.

Surviving are son Robert "Bobby" Motsinger and his wife, Cornelia, of Midway; daughter Nancy McAlpine and her husband, Jim, of Midway; grandchildren Hal McAlpine and his wife, Tammy, Mike McAlpine and his wife, Wendy, Steve Motsinger and his wife, Jenny, and Tim Motsinger and his wife, Mary; great-grandchildren Christina Clark and her husband, Brad, A.J. McAlpine, Madison McAlpine, Tayler Motsinger, Dustin Motsinger, and Josie Motsinger; sisters-in-law Elizabeth Long, Dorothine Oakley, Helen Shoaf and Louise Sink; and numerous nieces and nephews.

No formal visitation will be held.

Memorials may be made to Kate B. Reynolds Hospice and Palliative Care, 101 Hospice Lane, Winston-Salem, NC 27103 or donor's choice.

Davidson Funeral Home, Hickory Tree Chapel is in charge of arrangements. Online condolences may be made at www.davidsonfuneralhome.net. 
Sink, Elsie Amanda (I119134)
Sharon Lynn Diluvio
Birth 19 Feb 1942
Northfork, McDowell County, West Virginia, USA
Death 4 Apr 2018 (aged 76)
Columbia, Boone County, Missouri, USA
Callaway Memorial Gardens and Mausoleum
Fulton, Callaway County, Missouri, USA
Memorial ID 189081317 · View Source

Photos 0
Flowers 1


Sharon Lynn Diluvio, of Fulton, Missouri, passed away on Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at University Hospital in Columbia. Sharon was born February 19, 1942, in Northfork, West Virginia, the daughter of Robert and Billie Lucille (Thomas) Muckenfuss, who preceded her in death.

Sharon was married to John Diluvio on May 17, 1969, in Hampton, Virginia and he survives her. They were sealed for time and eternity in the Salt Lake Temple on August 3, 1971.

She was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints in Fulton where she was the pianist for primary children and the Relief Society for many years.

She was an avid genealogist who taught classes on genealogy and able to provide thousands of names to her church and family members. Sharon was also a certified Handwriting Analysist.

Along with genealogy Sharon's greatest love was traveling and spending time with her family.

She earned her Bachelors of Arts in Education from Radford University and later received her Master's Degree in Behavior Disorders and Learning Disabilities from the University of Missouri in Columbia.

Sharon taught school in Hampton, Virginia, New Smyrna Beach, Florida and also locally at Missouri Girls Town.

Along with her husband John, she is survived by daughters, Cherie (Cecil) Clark of Fulton, Christina (Devvin) Diluvio-Winder of Ashland, Missouri, Celeste (Christopher) Williams of Bonner Springs, Kansas and Anna (Phillip) Rosinski of Fulton, brother, Ronald (Jan) Lyons of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, grandchildren, Salvatore (Kelsey) Christopher, Bryan (Courtney) Alix, Nicole, John Phillip, Paris, Paige, Elizabeth, Robert, David and Heidi, great-grandchildren, Giuliana and Brooklyn.

Sharon was also preceded in death by her brother, John Thomas.

Funeral services will be at 1:00pm on Monday, April 9, 2018 at the Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints in Fulton. Burial will follow at Callaway Memorial Gardens Cemetery in Fulton. The family will receive guests from 5:00-7:00pm on Sunday, April 8 at the church and then again on Monday, April 9, fro 12;00pm until time of services at the church.

In lieu of flowers memorial contributions may be made to aid in the research of liver cancer, Hepatoblastoma. 
Muckenfuss, Sharon Lynn (I117098)
As I hope you will see Minnie's mother died in child birth in Mar 1884 giving birth to their 8th child. Her father remarried in the same year. It has been suggested that he needed someone to care for his other seven children. ages ranging from 2 - 9 yrs. He died the following year, and what is really sad is that, although he and his large family were wealthy farmers, the children were put into homes for orphans. The boys went to Fagans (what a name) and the girls to McPherson Homes where they were groomed to be sent to Canada as apprentices. Minnie was the eldest girl. It was unusual for Home Children to find their siblings as many searched for years to find their loved ones without success. However, Minnie did find John and Charles (he named his first dau Minnie, possibly after his sister) and they became very close.
Fagans outfitted each child on leaving the old country with "two cloth suits,two suits of underclothing, three hats or caps, two pairs of boots, three pairs of socks or stockings, one jersey, one overcoat, three handkerchiefs and a strong box to keep these articles in, the whole value a little over $25.00. As the Homes were grounded in a fierce Christian faith a bible and other religious books were included in the box.
William Charles left £1,767 in his will, a lot of money in 1885. Did his new wife have it? If not who? I cannot imagine the children going into Homes with a bank account!
I am sorry you found a problem with the web site. I hope it will be put right shortly. You asked if you could provide any information from over there. I would only ask that if you ever come across the name Stallibrass in Canada you let me have details. Sadly I find that once someone moves overseas they are lost. One such case is a Henry Stallibrass whose wife and two daughters joined him in Canada in 1906.leaving me with a dead end to one of my twigs and wondering if he subsequently had a son to carry on his line. I did find a snippet of info on the Puslinch Historical Society web page about Minnie's brother William.
Stallibrass, Minnie (I3538)
Aunt Addie and her four children lived with her family [after the death of Alton] until the children were in their early to middle teens. Aunt Addie at that time married Mr. Vail (We never called him anything but Mr. Vail). They lived on a farm near Paris. By that time Grandma and Grandpa Key had retired to Paris from the farm in Scotland. They were very fond of Aunt Addie and there was a good relationship between them. 
Huffman, Adelaide (I18316)
Birth Date before Marriage Date of Parents. 
Calder, Elizabeth (I2105)
Born before marriage date of parents. 
Myers, Ann Elizabeth (I1041)
Certificate Number: 63025
Volume Number: 18568
Sex: Male
Race: White
County of Death: Mahoning County
City of Death: Youngstown
County of Residence: Columbiana County
City of Residence:
Date of Death: August 08, 1966
Age of Death: 59 Years
Marital Status: Married 
Turney, George Lenn (I34658)
Elizabeth was the daughter and heiress of Edward Carlisle. She was a cultured lady and skilled in medicine and was regarded as the doctor for miles around their home. - Ezra E. Eby

She was probably of English descent. There are no mention of the name in the Mennonite records of either Pennsylvania or Europe. There was in England, close to the Scottish border, a Carlisle city, borough, and county town of Cumberland. 
Carlisle, Elizabeth (I6714)
Floral tributes were numerous and beautiful [for the funeral of Miss Lake], showing the high esteem in which the late Miss Lake was held. Nurses-in-training of the Brantford hospital, where the deceased was in her third year as nurse-in-training.

Particularly prominent in church circles the late Miss Lake, while residing in Preston, was a member of the United church and Sunday school. In the latter she was organist and also took a keen interest in the young people's society, of which she was a member.

She received her earlier education at the Preston public school and the Galt collegiate institute.
Lake, Margaret Pearl (I13)
Frances lived her childhood on Page Street off Plainfield in northern Grand Rapids. She attended the Fairplains Methodist Church and graduated from Creston High School in 1928. (She attended the 60 year class reunion in 1988).

She married Richard (Dick) Lyst in 1932, after, upon the advise of her mother "to be nice", she answered a letter she received from Dick, who was living in Northport at the time.

Frances began her married life, as a city girl, living in the home of her parents-in-law.

In late 1935, pregnant for the second time (first was a stillbirth), she wanted a place of her own. She and Dick moved by horse and wagon, using the horses from the farm. This was a new and different experience for the horses and they became restless and upset. Blinders had never been used on the farm so in town they became haunted by the noises and movements and away they went, coming to rest many feet away after crossing a creek and a railroad track. Not all was lot but things were quite a mess. Soon after the move Barbara was born on 1/4/36.

Frances was called home to care for her ailing mother, so she and infant daughter stayed and were joined by Dick for the winter. It happened that her father, died very unexpectedly in December and then her mother joined him in death a few weeks later, on January 4, 1937 (1st birthday of daughter Barbara).

In 1938 Dick was needed back on the farm. Frances was not too keen about going but consented, if she could get outside employment. This would not only give her something to do while living in her Mother-in-law's home, but would bring in actual money for the farm. It was at this time that she began her career as a Postmaster for the United States Government, receiving her full commission in 1940. She was in charge of the summer post office for the resort community of Northport Point until her retirement in 1966.

Having sold the farm in 1948, four years after their second daughter, Sandra Ruth, was born, they traveled and visited before again settling in the small village of Northport.

Frances was active in "Ladies Aid Society" for the Methodist church and helped on many occasions in the kitchen serving meals, and sewing rags together for rug making.

Frances was also employed in office positions for the J.W. Milliken (former Governor of Michigan) department store in Traverse City, and later the Northport General Hospital.

She and Dick loved to play cards and entertain friends. Their home was always open to their many friends, and friends of their daughters. If her girls were home, she knew where they were and they could have as many other kids as they liked.

In 1971 they moved permanently to Florida, where they lived until Dick's death in 1982.

While living in Florida she started playing bingo, and loved it. She also enjoyed the casinos.

She celebrated her 80th birthday in 1992, ten years after her husbands death. In the fall of that same year she sold her Florida home and moved to Kachina Point Retirement Village in Sedona, Arizona, to be near her youngest daughter, Sandy, and in another warm climate rather than going to Michigan.

In October of 1998, due to failing memory and confusion, Frances was moved to a more secure environment at Kachina Point. She now lives in the assisted living center.

Frances was kind hearted and liked to be with people. 
Mosher, Frances Violetta (I240)
From Vi Weber: Aunt Louise was a nurse and seemed to do private duty nursing as we knew of many of her patients. She married Jim Huntley. I remember when she was married. We were young. Probably all three of us were four years old to eight years old so Aunt Lou was not young when she married. She and Uncle Jim moved to Fullerton California and grew oranges for Sunkist Company. I remember as a child there was always a concern for the weather in California as cold freezing weather there could ruin a season's orange crop. Finally they found a way of supplying heat between the rows of trees to prevent damage to the crop in cold seasons.

Aunt Lou was an excellent letter writer and kept up a steady correspondence with all of her nieces. With each letter Aunt Lou always sent a pressed violet. In fact, she was in Canada for my graduation at U of T and also they drove mother and dad and myself down to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore to start my dietetic internship there. Many of the family traveled to California for holidays to visit them. 
Huntley, James (I130)
From Vi Weber: Aunt Nettie lived in Paris across Banfield St. from Grandma and Grandpa Key. She married Jim Taylor where he bought some land.

Aunt Nettie was a practical, fun -loving person and very generous. Many times young cousins went to Flint to live with her. Flint was a thriving automotive city. General Motors and Ford both had factories there. These young men (i.e. Gordon and Harry Key and Howard Hoover) lived with her while they found work. Howard Hoover lived in Delhi. he was the son of a cousin of Aunt Nettie's. he returned to Delhi when he married and made quite a bit of money growing tobacco, an activity frowned on by my mother. he was a clever man, quite involved in public life in Delhi. His wife, Pearl, was in a retirement home in Delhi until a few years ago (1993) and is probably dead now.

Aunt Nettie's husband, Jim Tay;or loved an argument and enjoyed cornering people to expound on his theories of nature. He was an atheist but Aunt Nettie stayed close to her church and all of their children were good church workers.

We visited back and forth with the Flint folk and a visit there and a return visit from them every summer. Aunt Nettie went her merry way and seemed to pay little attention to Uncle Jim. 
Key, Nettie Loriene (I100)
From Vi Weber: Aunt Nettie lived in Paris across Banfield St. from Grandma and Grandpa Key. She married Jim Taylor where he bought some land.

Aunt Nettie was a practical, fun -loving person and very generous. Many times young cousins went to Flint to live with her. Flint was a thriving automotive city. General Motors and Ford both had factories there. These young men (i.e. Gordon and Harry Key and Howard Hoover) lived with her while they found work. Howard Hoover lived in Delhi. he was the son of a cousin of Aunt Nettie's. He returned to Delhi when he married and made quite a bit of money growing tobacco, an activity frowned on by my mother. he was a clever man, quite involved in public life in Delhi. His wife, Pearl, was in a retirement home in Delhi until a few years ago (1993) and is probably dead now.

Aunt Nettie's husband, Jim Tay;or loved an argument and enjoyed cornering people to expound on his theories of nature. He was an atheist but Aunt Nettie stayed close to her church and all of their children were good church workers.

Uncle Jim was a colorful character. One of his theories, I remember, was thought provoking. "Nature is going up a blind alley with the human race. Insects are the upcoming species and will take over the earth." We visited back and forth with the Flint folk and a visit there and a return visit from them every summer. Aunt Nettie went her merry way and seemed to pay little attention to Uncle Jim. 
Taylor, James Henry (I112)
From Vi Weber: Gordon was a handsome man. He lived with Aunt Nettie too for a few years and then moved to California and lived with Aunt Lou. He was past marrying age but did marry. The last I heard of him he was very old and senile and most surely he is dead by now because he was several years older than I am. He lived on Yonge Street in Toronto in an apartment. 
Key, James Gordon (I108)
George Benn Key, son of William and Mary Jane, was born in Richwood, Blenheim Township (now Blandford-Blenheim Twp.), Ontario, Canada on June 5, 1854. He was baptized on Feb. 10, 1858, in Blenheim by Rev. O. H. Ellsworth, a Wesleyan Methodist minister.

George B. Key came to California in 1882, landing in Los Angeles in February. He soon moved to Pasadena where he worked for a dairy for a time. He was a 'zanjero' in the nursery business and dry farmed in the San Fernando Valley.

George Benn Key and Mary Frances Wright were married December 29, 1886 at the home of her parents on Fair Oaks Ave. in Pasadena, California.

In 1893 George B. Key and his wife Mary came to Placentia where he was the superintendent of the 110 acre Southern California Semi-Tropical Fruit Company Ranch owned by his brother-in-law Richard Gilman. That year Mr. and Mrs. Key purchased twenty acres on the northwest corner of what is now Placentia Avenue and Bastanchury Road. Mr. Key planted approximately twelve acres of the ranch in Valencia Oranges of San Gabriel Stock.

George B. Key built the present house in 1898, moving here from the superintendent's ranch house on the Semi-Tropical Fruit Company property with his wife Mary and four children. The house was completed in 1908.

He helped organize and was an original director in 1893 of the Placentia Orange Growers Exchange (later the Placentia Orange Growers Association). He was also involved in the establishment of the Fullerton Chamber of Commerce (1895), the Orange County YMCA (1908), and served two terms on the Placentia School Board, this first beginning in 1896. He later helped organize the Placentia Presbyterian Church (1912), the first church in Placentia, served there as an elder and trustee, and was serving on the Board of the Fullerton Union High School at the time of his death (1916).

George died on August 22, 1916.


He started Placentcia Orange growers association, which later became Sunkist , he started the first Placentia Presbyterian Church. He was involved in starting, the first YMCA, Fullerton Chamber of Commerce. He has an elementary school named after him and also a street.


From the Orange County Parks Web Page

In 1893 George B. Key and his wife Mary came to Placentia, where he was the superintendent of the 110 acre Southern California Semi-Tropical Fruit Company Ranch, owned by Richard Gilman. That year Mr. and Mrs. Key purchased twenty acres on the northwest corner of what is now Placentia Avenue and Bastanchury Road.

Mr. Key planted approximately twelve acres of the ranch in Valencia Oranges of San Gabriel Stock. (Three of the original trees remain.) This made one of the finest groves in the County.

In 1898, Mr. Key built a two and a half story home on the ranch, which he moved into with his wife and children. The house was completed in 1908.

The hand made concrete block porch with pillars was added, as well as an addition to the south side of the house and a second story porch. The water tank and windmill were removed from the roof of the house and a tank house was built with a gasoline driven pump. A bathroom was built on the second floor where there were five bedrooms. The first floor included a kitchen, large service porch, workroom, music room, living room, library, and a very large dining room. The attic was finished for a bedroom.

Mr. Key began collecting farm equipment from neighboring ranches in the late 1950's, around the time many of the local growers began to sell their land for subdivision. Over the next twenty years, Mr. Key sold portions of the ranch, until in 1980, the 2.2 acres which now makes up the park, remained.

The County of Orange purchased Key Ranch to ensure the preservation of an important part of Orange County's agricultural past.


From Historic George Key Ranch

The Key Family. George Benn Key was born in Richwood, Ontario, Canada in 1854. He came to the Placentia area in 1893 as Superintendent of the Semi-Tropical Fruit Company, replacing Richard Gilman, his brother-in-law. That same year he purchased 20 acres on the northwest corner of Placentia Ave and Bastanchury Rd., and planted 12 acres of Valencia oranges.

He helped organize and was an original director (in 1893 of the Placentia Orange Growers Exchange (later the Placentia Orange Growers Association). He was also involved in the establishment of die Fullerton ton Chamber of Commerce (1895), the Orange County YMCA (1908), and served two terms on the Placentia School Board, this first beginning in 1896.

George B. Key built the present house in 1898, moving here from the superintendent's ranch house on the Semi-Tropical Fruit Company property, with his wife Mary and four children. He later helped organize the Placentia Presbyterian Church (1912), the first church in Placentia, served there as an elder and trustee, and was serving on the Board of the Fullerton Union High School at the time of his death (1916).

His second son, George Gilman Key, (1896-1989) married Hannah Ipsen in 1917. Hannah's father ran the general store, called The People's Store, in the downtown of Placentia after 1910. After serving in World War I, George and Hannah moved to Los Angeles County, where he worked in the oil industry for the next 22 years (mostly as a drilling and production superintendent), before returning to run the ranch. The Key House before 1908. Originally part of a 20-acre citrus ranch this 2 story house was built in 1898 and extensively remodelled ten years later with the addition of a new wing to the south, the porch, trellis, and balconies, as well as extensive interior changes

From The City of Placentia George Key Ranch

The oldest of the surviving homes of early Placentia is the house at the George Key Ranch, 625 Bastanchury Road. George Key's father came from Canada and stayed at the home of Richard Gilman . The Gilman ranch was on the property now occupied by California State University in Fullerton. A modest home was made available for George Benn Key as he worked for Gilman at the Semi-Tropical Fruit Company. At this home George Gilman Key and two of his siblings were born.

George Benn Key acquired twenty acres at the corner of Bastanchury Road and Placentia Avenue, set the acreage in oranges and in 1898, built a solid two story home in the foursquare design which was common for the period. The original home had four rooms upstairs and four downstairs. As his crop began to produce, George Benn Key remodelled the home in 1908. He added an ornate centered front facing dormer, fronted with a small balcony, replacing a simple dormer. A full porch was built on the front of the house and a porte cochere extended to the north side of the porch. A large room was added to the south of the living room and a large dining room extended across the back of the house. The porch foundation and pillars were made of cast concrete. Large plate glass windows with an adjustable transom window above provided recycled air. These replaced the double hung windows on the first floor front facade. A bedroom was added at the same time. There was a garage, for George Benn Key was one of the first automobile owners in Placentia. A barn for farming implements was also added but demolished when a portion of the acreage was sold for a housing development . In 1912 when the schoolhouse at the corner of Placentia and Chapman was about to be dismantled, George Benn Key had the boys and girls bathrooms removed to his property for more storage space.


From My Orange County Communities

Historic George Key Ranch is a 2.2-acre site on the list of National Historical Landmarks. The ranch was named for George Benn Key, a Canadian who started the then 12-acre ranch in 1893. The ranch is a county historical site and the ranch house, built in 1898, is on the Placentia Registry of Historic Buildings. A one acre commercial citrus ranch recalls the days when the entire area was used by Sunkist growers. A blacksmith and carpentry shop are also on the site. The ranch hosts weddings, school tours, and four concerts and four open houses each year. Tours by appointment only. Located at 625 W. Bastanchury Road
Call: (714) 528-4260 Tuesday through Friday for tours and prices.

Key, George Benn (I20918)
Her childhood name was Dede.

Buried more than 30 days after death. 
Little, Edith Lillian (I5643)
IGI Individual Record FamilySearch™ International Genealogical Index v5.0
North America




Birth: 23 SEP 1867 Fargo, St Clair, Michigan



Father: GEORGE BILES Family
Biles, Oscar Penny (I4032)
Mary Clemens, "was born February 1st, 1814. She was married to Jacob, son of Peter and Susannah (Bomberger) Erb. They resided a few miles north-west of the town of Waterloo where she died May 23rd, 1893. To them were born ten children, namely: Annie (dead), Jessie, Levi, Noah, Enoch, Peter, Esther, Simon C., Jacob, and Mary Ann (dead)." - Ezra E. Eby
Clemens, Mary (I6554)
She came to the Sloss farm in 1843 to help Auntie Sloss at the Age of 17 - Jean Gardiner McClure Wetham

Elizabeth Herron

One expects, when considering the elegant style of the Sloss house, to come across an original owner/builder whose manners and outlook were as refined as the home he built. A man who was cultured and well read, a connoisseur of art and a lover of music.

Andrew Sloss was a drunk. Popularly referred to as "Old Sloss" (though he died at age 49), most local memories or anecdotes about the man centre more on his prodigious drinking than on any ability to converse with intelligence and wit on matters of truth and beauty.

One of the old anecdotes has to do with a day Sloss spent together with a local friend, Business began early in the morning with whiskey on the porridge, was continued with whiskey in the tea and carried on with whiskey taken by itself. After a while, Sloss began to feel less than happy, claiming that he wished he was dead. His friend was the obliging sort and so strung up Old Sloss from one of the rafters in the drive shed behind the house. Whether due to an inexpert job or to Sloss' less than clear- headed state, the noose failed to do its work; the man was cut down a short time later.

Sloss had been one of the earliest settlers in the area. Andrew Sloss was a single man who came to the property with his widowed mother Janet Guthrie (known locally as "Auntie Sloss); there is no record of the father, George, having come as well. Their first home was a log cabin, later replaced by a one storey frame house. At some point in the 1840's, Sloss' mother fell ill; since Andrew was on the farm, she had need of a nurse and housekeeper. Help came in the form of Elizabeth Herron, a young woman who, like the Sloss', was a Scottish immigrant. Elizabeth's role in the household soon became more than merely that of a servant; by 1851 she had married Andrew. The couple took over the frame house and Janet -Sloss moved into the log house, living there until her death in 1858 at age 79.

At some point in the decade, Sloss had the present stone house built; by 1861, it was listed in the census roll. Given Sloss' temperament and weakness, the refined style of the house may have been due largely to the influence of his wife.' If later actions can determine character, Elizabeth Sloss was a strong and dynamic person. In addition to building the house, Sloss continued to develop the farm, bringing more of its acreage under cultivation. But he was not to live much longer. Whether due to his drinking or to other causes, Andrew Sloss died in 1863 at age 49.

Elizabeth was thirty six; it appears that the couple had no children. In order to keep the farm going, she brought her family to the land. Mother, father, siblings and a widowed sister Mary McClure moved onto the property, some staying until the land was sold after Elizabeth's death in 1912. Just how much farming the Herrons and McClures did is a matter of question. In the 1876 Voters' List, John W. Christie, the owner of a farm to the south, is listed as renting the whole of 39/VI.

In addition to providing for her family, Elizabeth also fended for herself. Having married one old bachelor some years before, she now turned to another. James Calder was a neighbour who farmed the north quarters of the adjoining lots to the west. He was in his fifties when he married Elizabeth. Calder and three brothers had divided lots 37 and 38 into four parcels and now looked with interest at lot 39. Yet despite much pressure and at the cost of some hard feelings, Elizabeth refused to part with her land. The pressure did not last long. In 1875, Calder was gored by a bull and died.

Elizabeth was not one to remain a widow for very long. After the death of her second husband, she married a third. The marriages had led her into a number of religious groups; according to the census, Sloss had been a Baptist and Calder a Unitarian. The new husband was Rev. Anderson who, it appears, was a Presbyterian. Elizabeth was nothing if not versatile.

Meanwhile life on the farm was continuing at a regular pace. By 1888, John McClure, the son of Elizabeth's widowed sister Mary, had taken over farming the property. There were others on the land as well: Elizabeth was renting out two small lots, one to John Saunders, the town blacksmith, the other to an aged labourer, John Roley. This changed upon the death of Elizabeth Herron Sloss Calder Anderson in 1912. The Calders purchased the property from the estate and sent the Herron/McClures away. Further changes quickly followed. Timber rights were sold to T. Taylor for a five year period, with the agreement including the right to establish a small sawmill on the property, together with "free rights of ingress, regress and egress" for "wagons, sleighs, sleds and any other necessary materials". Given the high price paid by Taylor for these rights, there was obviously a good deal of quality timber on the land. None of it remains, save for some at the borders and a line of fir trees marking the old driveway. That driveway was abandoned at this time as well, it was more convenient to enter the property from the Butter road to the rear, so the Carluke road entranceway was closed.

Two months after selling the timber rights, John B. Calder divided the land and sold the north half of 100 acres to John Walker (subject to restrictions involved in the timber sale). The home stayed in the Walker family for 65 years before being sold again in L969 to Victor Moss. Mr. Moss eventually moved to the United States and the land and house were subsequently sold to Klaas and Wilma Klaver, the present owners (1980).

From- The Andrew Sloss House. Published by the Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee, Ancaster, 1980; prepared by Nicholas Terpstra 
Herron, Elizabeth (I2345)
She was engaged to be married but she suffered a seizure when in the hen house and died. 
Reynolds, Ethel Camilla (I1759)
When Lulu Reynolds' estate was being auctioned off, the auctioneer suggested the silver platter presented to Lulu on her retirement from Shaw Business School on her retirement stay in the family and not be sold. It was decided that the platter would go to Murray Reynolds as oldest nephew. Inscription: "To Lulu Reynolds in appreciation of thirty -four years of valued service as a member of Shaw School Staff". (Grace (Varley) Reynolds) (Passed on to Barry Reynolds on July 18, 1999.) 
Reynolds, Anna Lulu Roberta (I42)
William Key was born in Dean, Cumberland County, England on November 25, 1826 where he spent the younger years of his life. He came to Canada with his parents George Key and Barbara Benn in 1844. The last fifty years of his life he lived in the vicinity of Paris, the last twenty years of which he lived in town. William resided in Blenheim, Oxford Township, Ontario on January 1, 1880 and in Paris, Brant County on July 17, 1881. William died on Banfield Street in Paris, Ontario, on December 10, 1903. He was employed at the time as an insurance salesman. He was a Methodist.

Mary Jane (Thompson) Key, wife of William, was born in Cumberland, England, of Scotch parents in 1824 and died at her residence in Richwood, Ontario, Canada, on December 29, 1873 at age 49. Her husband and family came to Canada and settled in [prob. Ancaster]. They moved to Blenheim Township near Richwood. William and Mary Jane were married in Scotland, Ontario, Canada. They had four children, Barbara, Mary Jane, George Benn and Margaret. Mary Jane died of typhoid pneumonia.

William was granted guardianship of his nieces Barbara Ellen and Mary Alice on February 28, 1882, after the deaths of his brother George Benn and sister-in-law Eliza Ann.

After Mary Jane died William married Elizabeth Gregg on May 26, 1875. She died on August 3, 1887. On December 25, 1893 he married Esther Chater. She died in 1916. Mary Jane Thompson was the mother of all William's children.

William Key, his wife Mary Jane, and their daughter Barbara, are all buried in the Richwood cemetery next to the old Richwood school about five miles west of Paris, Ontario, Canada.

Key, William (I93)
William Key, Mary's uncle, was appointed guardian on 28 February 1882. 
Key, Mary Alice (I6124)
Vernon David Holderman


Learn about upgrading this memorial...
Birth: Feb. 7, 1904
St. Joseph County
Indiana, USA
Death: Mar. 11, 1963
South Bend
St. Joseph County
Indiana, USA

Vernon was the son of Elmer Holderman and Maude Bell Scharrer. He married Audrey Bernice Messner on 1 Jan 1925 in Elkhart Indiana. They had one son named Robert V. (b. ca 1929)
Pedigree Resource File

name: Vernon David Holderman
gender: Male
birth: 7 FEB 1904
St. Joseph County,Indiana
death: 11 MAR 1963
South Bend,Indiana
burial: Gravelawn Cemetery,Middlebury,Indiana
afn: 3LB2-4CL
father: Elmer Holderman (AFN: 3LB1-902 )
mother: Maude Bell Scharrer (AFN: 3LB4-2KR )
Marriages (1)
spouse: Audrey Bernice Messner (AFN: 3LB5-1NC )
marriage: 1 JAN 1925
submitter: ghayden2717514
submitter: ghayden2717513
submission date: 21 Apr 2000
submission id: MM9R-JX1
person count: 1,217

Source Citation
"Pedigree Resource File," database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/99R9-CLQ : accessed 12 July 2012), entry for Vernon David Holderman.
"Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992," Vernon David Holderman, 1925

groom's name: Vernon David Holderman
groom's birth date: 07 Feb 1903
groom's birthplace: St. Joseph Co., Ind.
groom's age:
bride's name: Audrey Bernice Messner
bride's birth date: 03 Apr 1905
bride's birthplace: Sturgis, Mich.
bride's age:
marriage date: 01 Jan 1925
marriage place: Elkhart County, Indiana
groom's father's name: Elmer Holderman
groom's mother's name: Maud Schaner
bride's father's name: Albert Messner
bride's mother's name: Julia Jane Lee
groom's race: White
groom's marital status: Single
groom's previous wife's name:
bride's race: White
bride's marital status: Single
bride's previous husband's name:
indexing project (batch) number: M00543-5
system origin: Indiana-EASy
source film number: 1845565
reference number: Bk 33 P474

Source Citation
"Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XF7Z-4VM : accessed 12 July 2012), Vernon David Holderman, 1925.
"United States Census, 1930," Vernon Holderman, Elkhart, Elkhart, Indiana

name: Vernon Holderman
event: Census
event date: 1930
event place: Elkhart, Elkhart, Indiana
gender: Male
age: 26
marital status: Married
race: White
birthplace: Indiana
estimated birth year: 1904
immigration year:
relationship to head of household: Head
father's birthplace: Indiana
mother's birthplace: Indiana
enumeration district number: 0022
family number: 140
sheet number and letter: 6A
line number: 35
nara publication: T626, roll 585
film number: 2340320
digital folder number: 4584680
image number: 00017

Household Gender Age Birthplace
head Vernon Holderman M 26 Indiana
wife Audrey Holderman F 25 Michigan
son Robert V Holderman M 1 Indiana

Source Citation
"United States Census, 1930," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XHMC-MVT : accessed 12 July 2012), Vernon Holderman, Elkhart, Elkhart, Indiana.
"United States Census, 1940," Vernon Holderman, Cleveland Township, Elkhart, Indiana, United States

name: Vernon Holderman
titles & terms:
event: Census
event year: 1940
event place: Cleveland Township, Elkhart, Indiana, United States
gender: Male
age: 36
marital status: Married
race (original): White
race (standardized): White
relationship to head of household (original): Head
relationship to head of household (standardized): Head
birthplace: Indiana
estimated birth year: 1904
residence in 1935: Same House
enumeration district number: 20-4
family number: 160
sheet number and letter: 8A
line number: 39
nara publication number: T627
nara roll number: 1040
digital folder number: 005459796
image number: 00140

Household Gender Age Birthplace
head Vernon Holderman M 36 Indiana
wife Audrey Holderman F 34 Michigan
son Robert Holderman M 11 Indiana 
Holderman, Vernon David (I106430)
41 Clayfield-HauserA quiet but pretty wedding was solemnized by Rev. Finlay Matheson, at the First United Church parsonage, Saturday afternoon at 3 o'clock when Janet Louise Hauser, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. Hauser, Princess street was united in marriage to Arthur Ralph Clayfield, son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Clayfield, Ezra avenue. Attenants were Miss Elizabeth Clayfield, niece of the groom and John L. Smith, Kitchener. The bride was nicely dressed in blue georgette. A number of friends were also present. Following the ceremony a reception attended by 50 friends and relatives was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Clayfield. In the evening music for dancing was supplied by the Woelfle orchestra. The home was prettily decorated with baby chrysanthemums. The newly married couple will reside in Waterloo. Family F34588
42 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Family F18964
43 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Family F19697
In February 1893 a number of the members of the U. P. Church of Fairgr ove, Michigan withdrew from it. in May and June Rev. F. G. Ellett of Car o, Michigan preached here at their invitation. On July 9th Rev. J. V. Har tness, Synodical S. S. Missionary organized a Presbyterian Sunday Schoo l. On July 2 3rd, Rev. G. S. Woodhull, D. D. preached for the first time a nd soon after became the regular supply. In September a petition was prese nted to the Presbytery of Flint for a church organization. This petition w as signed by about 30 persons, and 10 others not members. The presbyte ry of Flint, in session at Lapeer appointed the Rev. F. G. Ellett, Re v. E. A. Hoffman and Rev. G. S. Woodhull, D.D., a committee to visit Fairg rove and if the way be clear to organize a church."
"On Saturday, September 30, 1893, this committee met at the Honsinger 's School House, Fairgrove, Tuscola Co., Michigan, and after due conferen ce organized the 1st Presbyterian Church of Fairgrove."
Following is a list of the persons who were instrumental in the foundi ng of the First Presbyterian society of the church in Fairgrove, Michiga n: John Hunter, Mrs. John Hunter, Miss Sarah Hunter, John Allen, Mrs. Jo hn Allen, Miss Grace Allen, Miss Belle Allen, John Foster, Mrs. John Foste r, Joseph Foster, Mrs. Joseph Foster, Mrs. Piercy, Robert Foster, Mrs. Rob ert Foster, Archibald McCloy, Mrs. Archibald McCloy, James McCloy, Mrs Jam es McCloy, Wliliam McCloy, Mrs. Nancy McCloy, Sr., Peter Campbe11,
Mrs. Peter Campbell, Miss Lizzie Campbell, J. C. Davis, Mrs. J. C. Davi s, Miss Laura Davis, Miss Lottie Davis, Mrs. Jane Wolverton, Mr. Welsh Mdo y, Mrs. Welsh McCloy, Mrs. Jane Misner, Mrs. Annie Hodgins. These and othe rs, who united with the church within the first few years of its histor y, form the long list of faithful people who have laid the foundation f or the present substantial church organizaiton. Their descendants are amo ng the loyal, active members of the congregation today.

Fairgrove Centennial -- 1852-1956
Obituary, Tuscola Co. Advertiser, Friday, April 10, 1936

Funeral services for Joseph Foster were held at the Presbyterian Church We dnesday afternoon after a short service at the home, Rev. A. Korteling off iciating, with burial in Brookside cemetery. He was born February 7, 185 3, at Blake, Ontario, and came to Fairgrove township in 1883. Twenty-one y ears ago he moved into the village, but five years later returned to the f arm. He was married November 2, 1887, to Mary Margaret Hunter. Mrs. Lee Me tcalf, an only daughter, survives; also a sister and two brothers of Fairg rove, Mrs. Mary Campbell, John and William Foster. Four grandchildren al so survive.


Notes from Jim Kirk:

residing in Fairgrove at time of marriage in Caro. Rev L.B. Bissell, wit n. Robert Hunter and Grace Allen of Fairgrove.

1920: retired with wife in Fairgrove twp living on. farm owned free of mo rtgage, rented to Lee Metcalf. immigrated to Michigan in 1882, naturaliz ed in 1890.
died of "coronary thrombosis" 83y 1m 29d[ 
Foster, Joseph Douglas (I8422)
45 Children (1)
Kenneth Henry George VidlerB: 1923

Dora Enid Mary White

1898 in Camden NSW
04 OCT 1942 in Camden NSW

Henry Albert Vidler B: 9 Jul 1893 in Nowra, New South Wales, Australia

Reuben White

Rosa Percival

Australian Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980 about Dora Enid Mary Vidler
Name: Dora Enid Mary Vidler
Gender: Female
Electoral Year: 1930
State: New South Wales
District: Werriwa
Subdistrict: Ingleburn
Source Information: Ancestry.com. Australian Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010.
Original data: Australian Electoral Commission. [Electoral roll] 
White, Dora Enid Mary (I2244)
46 From Waterloo-Wellington OGS Branch Notes, Nov 1997

Christmas 1876
The first Christmas I remember,
over ninety years ago,
made years seem more like centuries,
and even days were slow.

My Daddy, who was reading,
had perched me on his knee,
so I could feast my eyes upon
that gorgeous Christmas tree.

There were strings of luscious raisins,
garlands of popcorn ropes,
with nice big dangling walnuts
to satisfy my hope.

There were little candy bracelets,
and a tiny candy train;
the cutest china dollie,
and many a candy cane.

My Daddy asked my Mommy
Could he give me "one more treat;
just one more 'cut-cut' cookie,
digestible and sweet."

She thought a little minute - -
and then she shook her head;
"It's almost supper time, for her - -
and then she goes to bed."

Melissa E. Bingeman

[Editor: This poem was sent in by Patricia Helen Thomas of Vancouver BC. She writes that "Melissa Elma Bingeman (1875-1970) was the daughter of Joseph Bingeman (1847-1907 and Lea Hallman (1851-1929). Both families were early settlers of Waterloo. Melissa was my husband's aunt." An earlier poem written by Melissa Bingeman when she was 17, "The Moon Man," was published in Berlin in "The Canadian Magazine."] 
Bingeman, Melissa Elma (I25994)
47 Isaiah and Lucinda and their family attended Cressman Mennonite Church in Breslau. Family F17459
48 Veteran Story

Jack Bowerbank

Jack Telfer Conway Bowerbank, Private
116th Battalion, Ontario County
9th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Division
Canadian Expeditionary Force

Jack Telfer Conway Bowerbank, a previous Oakville High School student was only 21 years old when he gave up his everyday life to fight for our country.

Personal Information: Jack Bowerbank was born on February 23rd, 1894 in Brampton, Ontario, Canada. Later he moved with his family to 60 Oak Ave. Hamilton, Ontario, Canada after living in Oakville for a few years. In addition, Jack was the fourth child in a family of six children to Thomas Ion Bowerbank and Lydia Buszard. Furthermore, Jack never married and therefore also did not have any children. He belonged to the Methodist faith.

Thomas Ion Bowerbank was born in Oakville, Ontario on November 13, 1858 and married Lydia Buszard on October 17, 1883 in Oakville, Ontario. Thomas came from a family of twelve children and his parents were John Bowerbank and Sarah Ann Ion. Both of his parents were born in Clifton, Nottingham, England and are now buried at St. Jude's Cemetery, Oakville, Ontario.

During his life spent in Oakville, he worked as a teamster and once in Hamilton he worked at a Firestone plant. Thomas died in Hamilton Wentworth, Ontario on October 14, 1938. He is now buried at Woodlawn Cemetery in Hamilton.

Lydia Buszard was born on November 10, 1860 and died on October 13, 1954 in Hamilton. She is also buried at Woodlawn Cemetery, Hamilton. In addition, her parents were Samuel Buszard and Ann Feeton. Her father was born in Leicester, England and her mother was born in Nottingham, England.

Jack Bowerbank also had numerous siblings. To start, the eldest child was Ernest Albert Bowerbank who was born on January 5, 1885. Following on November 20, 1886, the next son born was named Harry Bowerbank. Later on October 11, 1891, Olive Bowerbank, the first daughter was born. It was after Olive that Jack was born. After Jack, Frank Eric Bowerbank was born on May 2, 1897. The last Bowerbank child was Kenneth Charles Bowerbank who was born on August 6, 1900 in Oakville, and later married Sarah Jane Robinson. Out of all the siblings, Ernest, Harry, Jack and Frank all went to war to serve our country. However, Ernest and Jack never returned.

Furthermore, when looking at his time of enlistment, he did not belong to the Active Militia and he had also never served in the military before. On November 5th, 1915, Jack enlisted in Hamilton, Ontario. He was considered fit for the Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Force. There are no pictures of Jack but his physical description said he had blue eyes, dark brown hair and a shallow face. He was also five feet four inches and had a few distinctive markings. For example, his 2nd and 3rd toes on both feet were partly webbed and he had a brown mole four inches above the right knee on the outside. Prior to war, he attended a high school that was called Oakville High School, known today as Oakville Trafalgar High School. He also played the clarinet for several years in the Oakville Band.

In addition, he was very popular with those that knew him and his nickname was Peanut, used by the schoolboys. After school he became a basket maker. His plans for after the war could have been a range of activities. Personally, I feel he would have returned home to his family and would have possibly have gotten married and started his own family. He also would have looked for work and maybe started a new career.

Military Movements: Jack Telfer Bowerbank was a member of the 3rd Canadian Division, 116th Battalion (Ontario County), 9th Infantry Brigade. He was part of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. His regimental number was 757263 and he was a private for his entire duration of service. When it was time for Jack to travel to England, he travelled on the "Empress of Britain" and arrived on the 23rd of August, 1916. For the training that Jack went through, he trained in Uxbridge, England all winter long and as part of the final training; the Battalion marched in May from Sunderland to Uxbridge where they were greeted along the way. In addition, as the war progressed, soldiers were trained more quickly and shipped to England at a quicker pace as relief was needed for the troops fighting in France. Leading up to when Jack was on the fields in France, he was Taken on and Struck of Strength a couple of times. That means he was transferred from unit to unit. To begin, Jack started with the 120th Battalion until he was struck off strength on the 2nd of February, 1917 in Bramshott. Following, he was taken on strength from the 120th Battalion to the 2nd Reserve Battalion on the 4th of February, 1917 in Bramshott. Later on May 18th, 1917 he was taken on strength by the 116th Battalion in the fields. Lastly, he was struck off strength on the 22nd of August, 1917 when he was reported missing after action on the 23rd of July, 1917. To close, Jack also did not receive any promotions during the short time that he fought in the field.

Service in France: Jack Bowerbank left England for France on May 18, 1917. He arrived after the battle of Vimy Ridge and died before the battle of Passchendaele, so he did not participate in any major battles. However, his battalion was active during the war.

In general, the 116th Battalion was organized on December 22, 1915 with 943 men. It did not disband till September 15, 1920. In addition, the battalion is now remembered for serving in France and Flanders with the 9th Infantry Brigade of the 3rd Canadian Division. Furthermore, the 116th Battalion came to France during the Spring Offensive in 1917, to replace the 60th Battalion. However, both the 116th and the 60th were at Vimy in April, 1917.

Furthermore, this Infantry Battalion was an active unit after taking over from the 60th Battalion and continued this role all the way to the Armistice in November 1918. To add to this information, the battalion earned the nickname of "Umpty Umps" and before and after Jack's contribution, they distinguished themselves in Vimy, Passchendaele, Cambrai and Mons. Lastly, this battalion was assigned the final task of guarding the Brussels-Mons Road from unauthorized passengers.

May, 1917: Starting from when Jack arrived after May 18th, 1917, the battalion was busy with relief on May 20th. From May 21st to May 23rd, the Battalion was patrolling on the front but did not encounter any enemies. At this time they were located on Vimy where the enemy artillery was very active. They were also busy building new communication trenches and destroying enemy wire and trenches. On May 24th, they had a 15 minute barrage on the left line at 4:30a.m.; however, it was expected and the enemy artillery was very active at the Vimy Railway Station. It was today that the 116th Battalion moved to the Vimy-Lievin Line and Headquarters. For the next few days, the enemy artillery was active using gas and firing until May 27th, when they fell silent. On May 28th, the enemy bombarded at 1:15a.m. over the right flank and raided Canadian trenches but this did not last long and the 116th Battalion was soon relieved at the Vimy-Lievin Line by the 4th C.M.R. (Canadian Mounted Rifles) Battalion. For the rest of the month, the 116th Battalion worked on roads, tramways and buried cables.

June, 1917: For the first half of June, the battalion was busy training and advancing. On June 14th, the 116th Battalion moved from Torton to relieve the P.P.C.L.I (Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry) on the right sub sector of the front line. It was after more days of planning that the sketches were drawn on June 17th to take the enemy trenches the next day. However, the next few days were spent moving to Villers au Bois and practicing the attack over the top of the trenches during the day. It was not until June 25th that they issued for attack and capture of the enemy trenches on Divisional Front at 2:30a.m. Following, they captured a trench where they took 23 prisoners. To close this month, they moved in to support the Red Line on June 30th.

The Final Days - July, 1917: Starting on July 2nd, all units moved to Quarries Area and then to Chateau Delamare Area where the 116th Battalion went to St Lawrence Camp. Following on July 11th, the 116th Battalion went to relieve the 2nd C.M.R. (Canadian Mounted Rifles) Battalion in the Coburg dugouts. The following day, they planned a raid on enemy trenches to the South east of Fasse. However, when the 116th Battalion went for the raid, they were moved back to be near the top of the trenches. The next few days involved raids in the evenings and practicing during the day at taped trenches. On July 17th, the 3rd Canadian Division got the orders to carry out operations as planned. The 116th Battalion relieved the 5th CMR Battalion in the Red Trench. Following on July 19thand 20th, the artillery was busy cutting wire in front of Metal Trench and the patrols were active during night. For the next few days leading up to the 23rd of July, the patrols and artillery were active cutting and finding wire.

July 23rd, 1917 – Last day of Battle: It was on July 23rd, that the 116th Battalion raided enemy's trenches at 1a.m. The operation was successful and 53 prisoners of the 61st R.I.R. (Reserve Infantry Regiment), 36th Reserve Division were captured. In addition, machine gun and trench mortar were captured but had to be destroyed as it was impossible to get them back. Furthermore, all dugouts in Metal Trench and Railway Embankment were destroyed, resulting in numerous enemy casualties. However, standing patrols were left in the captured trenches by orders from the 3rd Canadian Division. Following at 4:45a.m., the Germans counteracted from both flanks, putting down a heavy barrage. It was at this time that the standing patrols went missing. Afterwards at 12:05p.m., while our troops were assembling, the enemy put over gas shells and caused some more casualties for us. This also made the operation much more difficult than originally planned. The total casualties were around ninety, one of whom is presumed to be Jack Telfer Conway Bowerbank. However, the artillery barrages were faultless and they responded to the SOS very quickly. It was then reported of the efforts by the 116th Battalion and intelligence summary of the raid. Following, wires of congratulation were received by the General Officer commanding from the Commander-in-Chief and from General Byng commanding the Third Army. At the end of the raid, one company of the 116th Battalion was placed under orders of the 52nd Battalion for the remainder of the tour.

The efforts put forth by this battalion were greatly appreciated as seen from this extract of text from 1917. "The assault was delivered at 1:00 a.m. on 23 July by the 116th Battalion (of the 9th Infantry Brigade). In spite of a gas attack launched by the enemy just as our troops were forming up, the operation, adequately supported by the divisional artillery, was completely successful. The 116th quickly took the trench that formed its first objective, killing many Germans. In solid hand-to-hand fighting the attacking companies gained the railway embankment and blew up a number of dugouts and a tunnel. After thirty-five minutes the main body returned to its original position as planned, leaving outposts who subsequently came under a heavy counter-attack and had to be withdrawn. The Canadian battalion, whose own casualties numbered 74, brought back 18
53 prisoners from the 36th Reserve Division, one of a number of formations that had been transferred from the Eastern Front earlier in the summer."

Medical Records: As Jack was killed in action, there are not too many medical records. The only ones were those that announced him fit for the Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Force on November 4, 1915, in Hamilton, Ontario, and his admittance into Aldershot hospital for Rubella on December 12, 1916, and being discharged December 27, 1916.

In summary, Jack Telfer Bowerbank was presumed dead on July 23rd, 1917. During this day, his battalion was involved in a raid into the enemy's trenches at 1a.m. This operation was successful, and the 116th battalion was given a lot of praise for their attack. However, the Germans counterattacked on both flanks by putting down a heavy barrage. During this procedure the standing patrols went missing. After this event the Germans then put over gas shells at 12:05pm while the troops were assembling. This caused around ninety casualties, one of which is presumed to be Jack.

Lest we Forget: Jack did not have a will or bank statements that were mentioned prior to death. When he died, however, his notification went to his mother Lydia Bowerbank and his father Thomas Bowerbank who lived in Hamilton, Ontario at this time. In addition, the Cross of Sacrifice was sent to his mother and his medals and decorations, plaques and scrolls went to his father. From serving in the First World War, Jack received the British War and Victory Medal. The awards earned were dispatched March 17, 1920 to Major General Newburn. In addition to the medals, while Jack was serving overseas, he sent fifteen dollars a month to his mother from August 1, 1916 to August 25, 1917. However, he made one dollar and ten cents a day or about thirty dollars a month. In the end he made almost four hundred dollars.

Unfortunately, Jack lost his life at the age of 23 years old. After Jack died, his death was mentioned in a newspaper from the Halton Area. The origin of the article is not specific but it could have come from newspapers like the Toronto Star, The Oakville Record or The Canadian Champion (from Milton). His name also now appears on many memorials as he does not have a known grave. His name appears on the famous Vimy Memorial, in Pas de Calais, France.

Return to Civilian Life: Unfortunately as Jack Bowerbank was killed in action he did not return to civilian life. However, from research it is said that those that did return faced many hardships in getting jobs as well as learning to participate in society. In addition, there were a lot of people that suffered from posttraumatic stress disorder from the horrific images and battles they suffered from during WWI.

Important Reflective Response: Prior to Jack Telfer Bowerbank's death, Canada was busy trying to maintain the land they had captured during the battle of Vimy Ridge. However, Jack was not present for the battle of Vimy, as he was still in England training and doing last minute preparation. In addition, there were no large battles that occurred during the sixty-seven days that Mr. Bowerbank served in France. On the other hand, he would have been involved in various practice drills and preparation activities that they carried out for the two months he was present.

Furthermore, as previously stated, he gave his life in one of the many raids that he participated in, while trying to claim German trenches. During this time period, the Canadian Corps was recovering after Vimy Ridge and preparing for the battle of Passchendaele: Jack participated in neither. In conclusion, Canada was building its reputation as a nation thanks to their accomplishments at Vimy Ridge.

In general, prior to his arrival, the Canadian Corps was fighting on Vimy Ridge to try to take this territory that had not yet been captured through the attempts of British and French troops. Canada, however, was successful under the direction of British Lieutenant General Byng. This battle was an important victory for Canadians as it gave us pride and self-confidence. In addition, the battle of Vimy Ridge was from April 9 to 14, 1917. In conclusion, Canadians were successful at this battle as we had trained and prepared for some time before the battle. In addition, each soldier had a map of where they were supposed to go and knew exactly what they personally had to accomplish.

Following the death of Jack Bowerbank, the battle of Passchendaele took place from July 31st, 1917 to the middle of November 1917. However the Canadian Corps began attack on October 26, 1917. The location for this battle was the village of Passchendaele near Belgium that was taken by Canadians on November 6th, 1917. In addition, there were 20,000 Canadian troops that fought in this battle, resulting in 15,000 Canadians wounded or even dead. This battle also had muddy and wet land to fight on which made the battle even more difficult. Lastly, Arthur Currie was active during this battle, helping to lead Canadians.

In Canada, during the year of 1917, Canadian Prime Minister Borden had just decided that conscription was necessary and it would go into effect in 1918. Also, Borden gave women the right to vote if they had male relatives overseas fighting. Furthermore, the year of 1917 was also the time that riots broke out in Quebec over conscription and division between French and English Canadians occurred.

Conclusion: Jack, you were such a brave soldier. You fought a short but powerful battle and made Canada's name proud in many raids. There are not enough words to express my thanks to you and your friends that went from Oakville High School to fight. I hope you enjoyed life and found the war was not too horrible. In addition, I really enjoyed telling your story and it is one that I will never forget.

"War was…War seemed…War took…"
War was a battle that had no apparent reason,
Where men fought: anything else would have been treason.
War seemed exciting to so many boys,
But that was before they had heard the loud noise.
War took so many Canadian lives,
Leaving European land muddled; taking time to revive.
War taught many valuable lessons to men,
Hopefully history would not have to be repeated again.
War impacted families and friends, 20
And is something that needs to amend
War involved horrific battles and endeavor,
Showing Canadian pride, by the end of the war, forever.
War took lives of loved ones and boys we did not know,
However, the stories shall be told, even so.

Story told by Julia, Oakville Trafalgar High School
Bowerbank, John Telfer Conway (I21676)
49 WATT. - Maria Watt passed away at St. Thomas, Ont., on June 15, 1941; aged 81 y. 3 m. 3 d. She was the daughter of the late Isaac Eby and Elizabeth Stauffer, born in New Hamburg on March 12, 1860. She was predeceased by her last husband, Alexander Watt, five years ago. She is survived by 3 daughters, Mrs. Edward Gilmore of Woodstock, Mrs. J. C. Schmidt of Cleveland, Ohio, and Mrs. Charles Kissner of Kitchener, and by 4 sons, Ervin Woolner of Milverton, Norman of Cayuga, Arthur of St. Thomas, and Harvey Nevetral of Cleveland, Ohio. Two sisters and 1 brother also survive. Mrs. Jemima Forrest of Kitchener, Mrs. Samuel Luckhart of New Hamburg, and Isaiah Eby of Stevensville, Ont. Funeral and interment, First Mennonite Church, Kitchener, Ont., conducted by Bro. C. F. Derstine. Theme, "If I Go." (John 14:2).

Eby, Maria (I89653)
50 Memorial remembrances to Calvary United Church, the Canadian Diabetes Association or a charity of one's choice would be appreciated. Funeral from Robert Trench Funeral Home, Listowel. Rev. George Russell officiating. Freeborn, Lorne Grierson (I333)

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 505» Next»

Many thanks to all who have contributed names, dates, photographs and stories. Corrections are always welcome.
Our research is ongoing and the validity of the information presented should be judged by the quality of our sources.

Our study includes our ancestors and their descendants (our cousins) and our cousins' spouses and their parents. The parents of our cousins' spouses will show as "A descendant is related to Susan or Barry" and their other children will not be included unless they are connected to our family.

Last Updated
October 24, 2020

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding (TNG) © 13.0.1 written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2020 and modified by Barry Reynolds. Information is stored in MYSQL database tables and dynamically displayed.

Genealogy Database Maintained and Relationships Calculated by Legacy 9.0
Hosted by SimplyHosting